Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Grandma planted the seed....

Today was the day that the guest room officially began preparations to become our precious baby's nursery. Our cousins, Jason and Aynsley, came and picked up the queen bed that was hindering any progress towards turning the room into the baby's room. Thank you so much for helping us out! I'm so excited to start transforming this bedroom, but before I could start thinking that I had to pull some things out from under the bed, so we could move it.....

As I was pulling the few things out, Nick and I came across a small pink and black, floral backpack. The backpack used by mom to grab as she walked out the door, carrying her medications, checkbook, wallet, and other odds and ends. Why is this still sitting there...she went to be with the Lord 3 years ago? Perhaps, it was my way of hanging on very quietly or I couldn't bear to go through it, knowing it was with her when she passed away. Regardless, Nick and I went through it together, filling us with the memory of my precious mom! Little by little, Nick pulled out each of her identification cards, holding on tight to the all the ones with her picture. He then pulled out a card, "Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services: Betty Gardiner, Foster Parent Official Identification." He asked, "what's this?" I responded with, "grandma was your foster mom, remember how I told you that God brought you to grandma so she could care for you when your birth mom did not know how? Foster parents are parents that take care of children that need a place to live while their mom and dad work on making their home safe for them." He didn't say much after that...I assume he was processing this, even though he has been told this before. For me...it was a reminder that because my mom gave her heart and the last days of her life as a foster mom, she gave me my first child! Without her determination to become a foster mom, I would not have my precious baby, Nicholas. Without her love of children in the foster care system, Jon would not have seen these precious children that needed homes and may not have considered adoption so quickly and have the burden for orphans like I do.
I continued to set aside these precious items and memories of my mom flooded through my mind. I began to look around the, now empty room, wishing my mom was here to welcome our precious little one into our home and to listen to all of her suggestions for the room. I truly believe in my heart that she would have suggested mint green walls...so that will be where we start! I know that my mom would have been an amazing grandma to our children.
How does this apply to our adoption calling? My mother planted this adoption seed into our hearts by opening her heart to the orphans. I am so incredibly thankful for my mom's impact on our family. So, I finally discover that God started this adoption calling with my mom! Thank you Lord for imparting your calling on my mother, so we could experience your love and sacrifice through my mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment